Thursday, November 13, 2008

The Indiglo Factor

In my last post I observed that men and women often regard watches very differently. While women will purchase and enjoy fine watches just as men do, very often these are fashion or jewellery watches. Large segments of the men's watch market are filled with watch types that are rarely produced for women (divers, radio controlled, chronographs, etc.). And it is a fact that there are comparatively few women who collect wristwatches or who would consider themselves watch enthusiasts.

My wife always wears a watch, even when sleeping. Her watches get used hard and are quickly destroyed. I bought her an inexpensive but sturdy diver-style watch that she loves, and it has held up well. Her only regret? That it does not have Indiglo, a feature of Timexes. As a watch enthusiast I of course find this a little discouraging. She wants a Timex? Not a great brand, not fine watches.

But I came across a recent post on Outhouse Opines that offers almost poetic insight into one woman's relationship to her wristwatch. I think my wife would be in full sympathy. I reproduce part of it here but recommend the entire post:
I am a simple girl and I like simple things. Thus my favorite watch brand is Timex. I am very picky about watches, which makes me difficult to buy a nice expensive watch for as a gift. I want a plain black band (or white for summer) not a bracelet style band. I do not want Roman numerals or little dots where the numbers are supposed to be. I want my numbers, people! I either want my numbers and hands to glow in the dark or I want an indiglow dial. And most importantly, I want my watch to tick.

The watch of my choice was my watch as a child. I remember the nights I spent with my grandparents on the farm. There was no air conditioning so in the summer the windows were open. I could hear the wind blowing in the cottonwood trees that shaded their house. I could hear the horns of tug boats coming down the river occasionally. I could hear my uncle snoring in the other room. And I could hear my watch ticking.

I slept in my watch and I would lay in a position so that my watch was close to my ear. The rhythmic ticking of my watch was soothing. I would fall asleep to the ticking of my watch.

No comments: